As we all know silane can be used as a silane coupling agent which has two functional groups with different reactivity. One of the two functional groups reacts with organic materials and the other reacts with inorganic materials.
Based on that knowledge, today we are going to discuss the below topic:
What is the usage of silane in the different application area?The silane can be used in the following application area:
Sealants and adhesives have been widely used in different areas in the world. On many occasions, adhesives can effectively replace welding, riveting, snails and other mechanical connections. It helps to simplify production process, reduce cost and improve economic efficiency. Let us look at what is the advantage of silane used in adhesive and sealants
- Improve the adhesion and durality
- High performance of adhesion under the dry and wet condition
- Extend its shelf life with excellent solution ability
Silane coupling agent has been successfully used in adhesion promoters and surface treatment agents for decades due to its special structural composition. It has now become an indispensable component in coatings and ink systems. Whether as an additive or as a separate primer, it gives the coating and ink excellent performance.
- 1.Improve coating adhesion
- 2.Improve the durability of the coating
- 3.Improve the weatherability of the coating
- 4.Improve the toughness of the coating
- 5.Reduce the dispersion viscosity of fillers and pigments, and improve pigment dispersion
Silane coupling agent forms a chemical bond between the surface of the glass fiber and the polymer (composite matrix), prevents moisture from penetrating into the interface between the glass fibers and the polymer, thereby increasing stress transfer from polymer to fiber
- 1.Improve the mechanical properties of dry and wet states
- 2.Stabilize the electrical properties
- 3.Improve the processing characteristics
- 4.Improve the treatment of glass fibers in the manufacture of composite materials
- 5.Increase the elasticity and strength of thermally insulating glass fibers.
In casting process, many natural and synthetic resins are used as mold and core sand binder. Because the structure and properties of sand and resin are very different, it’s not easy to combine with chemical bonds or penetrate and dissolve each other. So their connection are mainly by the mutual attraction between molecules on the interface. Therefore, the coupling agent is usually used to enhance the bonding effect, which is to enhance the bonding force of interface between the resin mold and sand particles.
- 1.Improve the high strength of Phenolic resin and Furan resin
- 2.Improve mechanical strength and processing strength of foundry resins
Silane coupling agents exhibit excellent advantages when used between organic polymers and inorganic fillers. It can improve the compatibility of resin and filler.
It can improve the dispersion of the fillers, control the rheological property of the system, reduce the viscosity so the system’s properties will be more like Newton fluid. Silane coupling agents can also improve the mechanical properties, such as flexural strength, tensile strength, impact strength and modulus of elasticity. Because it can increase the hydrophobicity ,so silane coupling agents help to improve electrical properties, especially when exposed to moisture. And it can increase filling volume, reduce swelling and water vapor penetration.
- 1.Improve computability between fillers and resins and increase reinforcement
- 2.Improve dispersion of fillers
- 3.Control rheological property of the system
- 4.Improve mechanical strength and electric properties
Surface modification of cotton fabric in silane coupling agent solution by dipping method obtained modified cotton fabric. Study on surface morphology, chemical composition and fabric surface contact angle hysteresis of modified cotton fabrics by FTIR, XRD, SEM and Surface contact angle analyzer.
- 1.Improve the feel of textile products, in the other word softness improver
- 2.Improve the adhesion and durability of dyes to fabrics
- 3.Improve the waterproof, oil and dirt resistance of fabrics
Silane coupling agents have two different functional groups, one reacts with organic materials and the other one reacts with inorganic fillers. So inorganic filler are bonded well with organic resins.
- 1.Improve adhesion promoter between polymer and filler
- 2.As crosslinker of silane crosslinked polyethylene
- 3.As Wetting and dispersing agent and coupling agent for filler
- 4.As Plastic physical and chemical performance improver
- 5.As Processing modifier